Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Women Drivers in Saudi Arabia

This is not an April Fool's joke! No, readers, this is another one for Women's History Month.

Yesterday in the newspaper it was announced that women would have the privilege to drive in Saudi Arabia starting in 2 months. This is a major, major breakthrough for women in this country. It has come about through the support of women in the royal family. I was fascinated to read about the caveats associated with this change.
  • Women must remain veiled while driving. (Can you imagine driving in this??)
  • Women traffic policemen will be hired and trained, since it will remain against the law for men policemen to stop a woman.
  • Roadside assistance will be available. In order to provide this service, women must pay extra premiums.
  • Women will drive only between the hours of 8am and 8pm.

Still! This is great news. Rejoice with us.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 4/1/08, 4:52 AM, Blogger SilverRain said...

They'll need extra mirrors to see around all that fabric, I think.

 
At 4/1/08, 9:50 AM, Blogger mj said...

Wow! That is really interesting!

Women are allowed to drive in the UAE without a veil (alhamdulillah) but some muslim women choose to wear the veil anyway, just as they would anywhere in public. The exception to this would be those who have cars with super-tinted windows--since no one can see in anyway, they feel comfortable driving without the veil. I think it must still be hard to see through the darkened glass, but I'm glad that they have some freedom to go out when they want or need to.

 
At 4/1/08, 5:17 PM, Blogger Lessie said...

Wow, this is great. I hope things keep moving in this direction. I also think it's interesting that the change took place after support from the women in the royal family. This gives me hope that change can be possible anywhere, as long as one knows how to work the system, when to revolutionize, and when to take it slowly.

 
At 4/2/08, 10:18 PM, Blogger LaurieSue said...

I am so thrilled to hear this! It will be interesting to see how the transition goes. I'm excited to get over there and witness all this first-hand. I would like to be able to drive while living in Saudi, though I've heard the drivers in Riyadh are rather dangerous. (By the way-- we look forward to meeting you soon!)

 
At 4/3/08, 12:34 AM, Blogger Bored in Vernal said...

PTA, I would no more want to drive in Riyadh than I would in L.A. I don't know if I will see this put into place before returning to the States. We leave in mid-June. When will you get here?

 
At 4/3/08, 10:24 AM, Blogger LaurieSue said...

My husband should arrive in Riyadh sometime at the end of April. We're just waiting on his visa. My son and I won't be there till the end of July. Are you leaving Saudi for good, or just for the summer?

(I grew up in L.A. and learned to drive there, but after living in small towns for the past 8 years, I'm afraid I've lost my love for dangerous driving.)

 
At 4/3/08, 11:22 AM, Blogger Bored in Vernal said...

PTALady, We are leaving for good. But the ward will be sooooo glad to have you. Please email me, clbruno at hotmail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home